29 Apr Charles White
Mr. Charles Thomas White, 78, died May 15, 2011 at his home in Laytonsville, Maryland from complications of Parkinson’s Disease. Born March 13, 1933, Mr. White was a lifelong resident of Laytonsville. He served as the Town’s Mayor from 1980 until 2003. Mr. White was employed by Peoples Life Insurance Company, Acacia Life Insurance Company and retired from Baltimore Life Insurance Company. A 1951 Gaithersburg High School graduate, he also graduated from Western Maryland College, Westminster, Maryland in 1955, commissioned by Army ROTC, with a major in Economics. He served two years of active duty with the United States Army as a 1st Lieutenant stationed at Fort Benning, Georgia and South Korea following the end of the Korean War. Mr. White was a three sport star athlete at Gaithersburg High School and Western Maryland College and was inducted in to the Western Maryland College Sports Hall of Fame in 1990. Mr. White also played football and baseball for the Army forces stationed in South Korea and Japan.
Mr. White is preceded in death by his parents, Washington Waters White Sr. and Louisa Griffith White of Laytonsville. He is survived by his wife of fifty five years, Barbara Harding White as well as daughters, Carol Marie White Kamp and son- in- law, Michael Lewis Kamp of Stevensville, Maryland; Deborah Griffith White Bennett and son- in- law, Barry Wayne Bennett of Weyers Cave, Virginia; Julia Briggs White and son- in-law Albert Raymond Burns of Mt. Airy, Maryland and Mary Louisa White Helmick and son- in- law, Kevin Wayne Helmick of Dayton, Virginia. Mr. White also loved dearly his seven grandchildren, Bradley Wayne Bennett, Jenna Marie Kamp, Kyle Wayne Helmick, Cory Thomas Bennett, Dylan White Bennett, Natalie Louisa Helmick and Charley Albert Burns. He is also survived by his sisters, Louisa White Riggs of Brookeville and Dorothy White Tessier of Laytonsville and one brother, Washington W. White Jr. and sister-in-law Kay Harding White of Germantown and many nieces and nephews.
Mr. White was a lifelong member of St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church. He served as the Junior Warden of the vestry for many years. Mr. White gave service to his community throughout his life as a member of the Laytonsville Lions Club, Olney American Legion, GLAYCA, Laytonsville Garden Club and Laytonsville Historical Society. He expressed his love for Laytonsville through his contributions of volunteering, support and service and this culminated with his overseeing the restoration of The Bell House as the present Town Hall of Laytonsville.